Do you know what a “Dry” town is? From 1935 until 2015, NO alcohol was sold in the Town of Neversink! Learn more about this interesting town below.
The Town of Neversink came into formal existence by an act of the Ulster County Legislature dated March 16, 1798. Its first supervisor, Henry Reynolds, was appointed by that same legislature. Prior to that time, early Neversink or Neversink Country (as it was sometimes known) was part of the Town of Rochester, Ulster County. In 1809, Neversink became part of the newly created Sullivan County and included part of Denning, Fremont, Callicoon, Liberty, Fallsburg and all of Rockland townships. In a short period of time, other legislative acts changed property lines and the present boundaries of the Town of Neversink were established.
Historical research is often difficult because the Town of Neversink moved from one county to another and the boundaries kept changing. Official records may be found in Ulster County until 1814. Only then do records show up in Sullivan County.
The derivation of the word Neversink remains uncertain. Present research says the word Neversink came from the Indian name Mahackamack. Earlier historians failed to agree on this and many other possibilities exist.
Historical research is also complicated by the taking of the land by eminent domain for two New York City reservoirs. The Neversink Reservoir is totally in the Town of Neversink, and the two communities of Neversink and Bittersweet were lost at that time. The village of Neversink relocated to its present site along Route 55. The Rondout Reservoir waters covers three lost communities. Town of Neversink lost Eureka and part of Montela. The other section of Montela and the community of Lackawack were located in the Town of Wawarsing, Ulster County.
Early Communities Of The Area
The post office was established in 12/24/1915, and discontinued in 7/23/1920. The first postmaster was Henry J. Sackett. Presumed that name came because of an abundance of the climbing plant named Bittersweet. Residents relocated and the waters of the Neversink Reservoir cover the original site.
The post office was established in 4/26/1850 and is still in operation. The first postmaster was John Reynolds. Two churches were built – one Methodist, one Dutch Reformed. The cemetery and Reformed Church are still in use.
The post office was established in 5/18/1894, and discontinued in 7/19/1963. The first was postmaster Daniel P. Wright. Prior to that, in 5/21/1890 a post office was established called Currys with Higby M. Curry as postmaster. Currys was discontinued 5/18/1894.
The post office was established in 4/24/1869, and discontinued in 10/31/1942. The first postmaster was Joseph C. Porter. There was a one-room school there. Residents relocated and the waters of the Rondout Reservoir cover the original site.
The post office was established in 8/22/1828 with Samuel Burton as the first postmaster. Recent research reports that Samuel Burton was the first owner of record of the house shown on the 1875 map as belonging to LaMoree. Is it possible that the first post office was located in that house? Grahamsville had a two-room school.
This community had no post office. The Quaker Meeting House, built in 1838, was located in Unionville. Unionville was also the site of a church called The Tabernacle. Little is known of this church.
A post office was established in 4/25/1828 with Richard D. Childs as the first postmaster. The community of Neversink was relocated to its present site along Route 55 and the waters of the Neversink Reservoir cover the original location. Neversink was also known on some maps and referred to as Neversink Flats. There was a two-room school.
A post office was established in 1/06/1871 with Matthew Decker as the first postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 6/30/1945.
A post office was established in 10/09/1877 with James Decker as first postmaster. The name changed to Halls Mills in 7/27/1893 with George R. Teller as postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 12/31/1894. A historic covered bridge is located there.
A post office was established in 5/4/1850 with Abraham B. Low as first postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 7/8/1856.
The post office was established in 1886, and located in Frank Dixon’s Store. Presumably he was first postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1946. Waters of the Rondout Reservoir cover the original site. Montela located part in Town of Neversink, Sullivan County and part in Town of Wawarsing, Ulster County.
Carol Smythe, Town of Neversink Historian
P.O. Box 254
Grahamsville, NY 12740